Insurance License Training

How do I Get an Insurance License?

First, you would need to determine what type of insurance license you would like to have. Would you like to sell Life, Accident, & Health insurance policies or Property & Casualty insurance policies?

Becoming licensed in the Life, Accident & Health insurance field would allow an agent to sell many types of life insurance, disability policies, and heath insurance policies among other types of financial products.

A Property & Casualty insurance license would allow an agent to sell policies to cover homes, automobiles, commercial property, flood insurance, jewelry, professional liability coverage, watercrafts, RVs, and more.

The requirements to become an Insurance Agent vary from state to state however, some of the general rules apply in most all states.

Some of the requirements are:

  • An individual must be at least 18 years of age;
  • Reside in the state where they are seeking a license; and
  • Be appointed as an agent by a licensed insurer.

Many states require that you attend and pass a Life, Accident & Health pre licensing course OR a Property & Casualty pre licensing course to become certified to sit for the state insurance exam. Other states allow students to purchase a textbook course and study on their own before taking the state insurance exam. And still others have no pre licensing education requirement at all. When you view the training courses on our website, and click your state, a link to your state's requirements comes up. This should help to further clarify the requirements for a license in your state.

Additional requirements are that an agent must not write "controlled business" on himself, his relatives or employees only, and shall be trustworthy and competent. This requirement is to ensure that a person does not acquire an insurance license for the sole purpose of insuring himself and his family.

An insurance agent represents the insurer (insurance company) and must not place any business with any insurer not admitted to do business in the state.

An agent may not accept business from a broker or agent who is not licensed in the state.

To become licensed in a state other than the state where the agent resides, he/she must apply for a "non-resident agent" license. All non-resident licensees must first have a resident license in his or her home state before a non-resident license will be issued.

Please Wait... processing