Workers Compensation Adjuster License Courses



Obtain your Workers Compensation Adjuster license by passing the state licensing exam after taking one of the following courses created for the following state licensing exams:


Connecticut Casualty Adjuster -- Workers Compensation Only


 New York Independent Motor Vehicle No-Fault and Workers Compensation Health Services Adjuster -- Series 17-72


 Oklahoma Workers Compensation Adjuster


 Rhode Island Workers' Compensation Insurance Claims Adjuster


 South Carolina Workers' Compensation Insurance Adjuster


 Texas Workers Compensation Adjuster


 Vermont Adjuster's Workers Compensation Insurance -- Series 14-34


 Louisiana Workers Compensation Adjuster


Until fairly recently, the license to adjust workers' compensation claims in a given state was usually granted as part of a property & casualty adjuster license. In many states, this is still the case. However, many state Departments of Insurance have recognized the necessity to license adjusters who have more expertise in the adjustment of workers compensation claims.


Typically, a Workers Compensation Adjuster state licensing exam will focus on the following topic areas:


  • The licensing and continuing education requirements as well as the procedures for renewing a workers' compensation adjuster license in the state;

  • The acts that may be undertaken by a workers' compensation adjuster that would be prohibited by law or considered to be an unfair practice. The penalties for committing those acts would also be covered;

  • The classification of injuries and the indemnity (lost time) benefits payable for those types of injury (example: Temporary Total Disability (TTD); Temporary Partial Disability (TPD), etc.) These types of  benefits are specified by state law and are usually different depending on the state;

  • The Average Weekly Wage (AWW) and how it is calculated as well as the percentage of the AWW that is to be paid according to state law;

  • The maximum and minimum indemnity benefits payable as determined by state law;

  • Workers' compensation insurance policies, their insuring agreements and the types of claims they cover. The types of claims that would be excluded are also covered;

  • The specific workers' compensation laws of the state that determine the types of benefits payable to injured workers, the amounts payable, and the length of time those benefits will be paid;

  • The types and amounts of benefits payable to beneficiaries and dependents, if any;

  • The death benefits payable if the worker dies from his/her on-the-job injuries;

  • The types of medical services that will be covered, for what amount, and how the medical services provider may be paid under the policy.


As you can see, the above topic areas are very detailed and most people who are employed solely to adjust workers' compensation claims find it overwhelming to be required to obtain a property and casualty adjuster license in order to adjust only workers' compensation claims. A good example is the Texas All Lines adjuster license that will allow the holder to adjust workers' compensation claims as well as claims arising from Dwelling & Homeowners policies, Commercial Property, Personal & Commercial Automobile, Commercial General Liability, and many other policy types. A license candidate that intends to adjust ONLY workers compensation insurance claims has no need for the authority to adjust the other types of property and casualty claims we just listed. This is the reason that Texas offers a Workers' Compensation Adjuster license for those that pass the workers' compensation adjuster state licensing exam that is focused solely on workers' compensation insurance policies and state laws.


The state of New York grants the authority to adjust workers compensation claims by granting a couple of different licenses. They offer a comprehensive property and casualty adjuster license that permits licensees to adjust all types of claims including workers' compensation and accident & health claims. This license and state exam is known as the New York Independent General 17-70 Adjuster. However, those who wish to be licensed to adjust workers' compensation claims only would obtain the New York Independent Motor Vehicle No-Fault and Workers Compensation Health Services 17-72 Adjuster.


You might ask why "Motor Vehicle No-Fault" would be covered along with workers' compensation. The claims authority under the 17-72 license for "Motor Vehicle No-Fault" extends only to adjusting the medical payments claims under the New York No-Fault (PIP) law.


As with all other types of adjuster licenses, the insurance laws of the state where you hold your legal residence dictate which resident adjuster license or designated home state license you must first obtain. After obtaining a resident or designated home state license, you can apply for non-resident workers compensation adjuster licenses in other states that grant reciprocity to your resident/home state. Please note that the state of New York does not grant adjuster license reciprocity with any other state.



Please Wait... processing